Pages

Sunday, September 17, 2017

This blank has been waiting in the shop for many years. My own curiosity finally pushed me to build it. I have built a few Tom Morgan 5-6wt tapers over the last year, and every time, I have been thinking about this blank. This is a NOS Winston 8'6'', 6wt blank, that was cut and ferruled for me by James Green, using original white Winston ferrule stock. A couple of years ago, I refurbished a custom rod that had an old Winston reel seat on it. Same type of seat as featured in the old Winston catalogues, with walnut and German Nickel Silver. The customer wanted me to replace it, and that I could keep the reel seat. I finally figured out that this would be a perfect match for this old Winston blank. I even had an original Winston Trophy Cup water decal for it, that was given to me by a Winston employee many years ago. End of story, this is a very special rod. It's not a replica, but rather a blend of the old Winston design and the sparse Fine Tackle style.