Pages

Wednesday, November 29, 2017

I have known Fred for almost ten years, he was one of the few builders who was dedicated to fiberglass back then. Fred was also a great help and inspiration in the beginning. We exchanged emails and thoughts, and step by step I started to learn the craft. Two years ago we spent some time together in Michigan, fishing and having a great time. Fred had brought his new tapers, and showed us blanks rolled by Mike McFarland. Another friend of ours asked me if I was interested in building out a 805-3 Paddock blank from this series, and here is the result. Fred has been moving towards faster glass, but this is still a smooth taper, well balanced with medium progressive action. The rod was appointed with a Lemke DL seat in dark nickel and varnished cork insert, a 6'' full wells grip and Snake Brand Originals wrapped with Pearsall Naples silk. I look forward to see this rod baptized in the Au Sable river next summer.